State-owned company created in 1986 as part of the Regional Ministry of Climate Action, Food and Rural Agenda (Regional Government of Catalonia). According to the Articles of Association, "the aim of the company is to promote Catalan agri-food and forestry products in Catalonia and the rest of Spain, and support the exportation of those products to markets with a demand; exportation, promotion and support for campaigns to standardise these products and, in general, all measures directly or indirectly related to the stated purposes, as well as the provision of technical, accounting and economic services to agricultural companies, both in the productive sector and in the agri-food and forestry industry.”
(AGREEMENT GOV/144/2015 of 1 September 2015 authorising amendment of the PRODECA Articles of Association and approving the full text)
Since Prodeca was set up, the Catalan agri-food sector has opened up hugely (over 1,200% in the last 30 years), partly due to international factors such as joining the European Union, globalisation and the capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship in the sector, but also because of Prodeca, which is the only agency of its kind in the whole of Spain.
WHAT WE DO
- We run programmes on starting to export, market diversification, increasing sales and consolidating our presence abroad.
- We work on the internationalisation of Catalan agri-food products by organising specific meetings with importers, technical meetings and seminars.
- We create international positioning plans to raise awareness of gastronomy under the Catalonia brand, with the aim of promoting Catalan food products.
- We offer companies and entities with specific needs bespoke services for international growth.
- We help to identify export opportunities and define potential world markets using our Agri-food Valuation Tool (EVA), a free online search engine that Prodeca has developed.
- Prodeca's team is qualified and experienced in agri-food marketing, and includes experts in all of the agri-food sub-sectors.
AT PRODECA WE ARE
Prodeca has been supporting the sector to become international and boost competitiveness for 30 years.
We are the first public body to leverage food as one of Catalonia's strategic sectors.
We are the Regional Government of Catalonia's public body devoted exclusively to promoting Catalan agri-food products.
We put all of the sector's key players in contact with each other to galvanise the sector and generate synergies.
We promote food as a key axis in developing socioeconomic opportunities.
We understand the sector's needs and strive to provide the service that will support it through its challenges.
PRODECA, ACCORDING TO COMPANIES
"For a small cooperative like ours, the presence of a state-owned company like Prodeca is fundamental because it facilitates trade actions, to win new customers and open up new markets where our product can have an influence."
Export Director, Oleum Priorat
"Since Prodeca has been exhibiting at specific organic farming fairs, we have taken part in some of them."
Sales Manager, Cal Valls
THE AGRI-FOOD SECTOR, DRIVER OF THE CATALAN ECONOMY
The Catalan agri-food sector plays a strategic role in the region's present and future. It accounts for 22% of the value of Spain's exports, is home to 26% of companies that export regularly and represents 14% of Catalonia's GDP.
Catalonia is therefore one of the leading benchmark agri-food clusters in Europe, with value-added products, local production of a wide range of high quality foods and drinks, high food safety standards, and the capacity for innovation. The value of our agri-food sector is multiplied by a brilliant gastronomy sub-sector.
PRODECA ACTIVITY REPORT
Prodeca aims to promote Catalan agri-food products on national and international markets. It organises business events for Catalan companies and operators from national and international markets, and fosters agri-food trade relations and cooperation with third countries. If you would like to know more about our activities, please download the Activity Report 2019.